Summer Running Week Six 8/9 – 8/13:
- Registration is now open for Fall Sports. Please make sure to get signed up through the Athletics page for MV. You need to register, pay the Pay-to-Play & have a current physical on file in order to practice/compete. Wednesday, August 11th is the last day to register and be able to practice on the 16th when official practices start. If you’re not cleared by the 11th you won’t be able to practice.
- Official practices start Monday, 8/16 (one week away!!). We will be having those practices at 3pm and will be meeting at Mountain View near the “Cross Country Tree” across from the ticket booth of the football stadium. Please bring water!! It’s going to be hot.
- Mark your calendars for Saturday 9/4. We’re planning on doing a morning Black Butte run/hike and using ex-MV coach Peter Hatton’s Camp Sherman house as a base for a post workout BBQ. Details are still being worked out, so stay tuned.
- The race calendar on Athletic.net is close to being finalize, but there will be other items added to the calendar as the season goes on.
Workouts for the week:
Monday 8/9 – Meet at Juniper Park by the Tennis courts. 8 am.
- 3-4 sets of 2x800m w/1 min rest. Rest interval between sets is 3-5 minutes until the HR goes down. Pace should be fast but comfortable. You should be able to feel like you can keep going right into your second rep. Focus on getting at least 3 sets done as that equates to a 5k. 2-3 sets of 30 walking lunges after the workout. Stretching and core.
Tuesday 8/10 – 30 – 45 minute easy run on your own or with friends. Try to find a soft surface to run on.
Wednesday 8/11 – Meet at Goodrich Pasture park at 8 am. We’ll try the workout we missed last week because of the smoke. We still need to get some good climbing in the legs and with Black Butte on the horizon, it’ll help build strength.
Thursday 8/12 – Meet at MVHS @ 2pm for a strength/lifting workout similar to what we did last week. Again, we’ll shoot for being done close to 3:30, but it might be closer to 3:15.
Friday 8/13 – Meet at Drake Park @ 8 am for a climb up Awbrey Butte to the radio towers. Back down to the park for strides and Ultimate.