We finally got our 1st race under us at the Northwest Classic in Eugene. We put in some hard efforts against the best competition in the State! It’s tough to open up the season with such large and competitive fields, but everyone handled it well and worked hard in the heat. We ended up having 15 PRs on the day, along with some awesome individual and team performances! Below are some notable performances and fun facts from the meet!
- Freshman Kyle Swenson ran his 5k debut in 17:58!
- Senior Nate Robbins Crushed his PR from last season by almost 2 minutes, running 18:48.
- Sophomore Iris Welsh ran a big PR to open up the season in 23:20.
- Sophomore Walter Marquez broke 20 minutes in his first XC race! He ran 19:39
- Freshman Weston Shaffer just missed breaking 20 minutes (20:01) in his 5k debut.
- The Varsity boys had a team spread of 50 seconds between the top 5.
- The Varsity girls had a spread of 80 seconds for the top 5.
Very exciting to see PRs, awesome debuts for freshman and great team performances between JV and Varsity! It’s still early in the season and we are just starting to scratch the surface in terms of our fitness and speed, versus where it will be in October and November. This week of practice will be mixed with some hard training and some fun as well. So, be ready to put some work in this week since we don’t have a competition on Saturday.
XC Practice Schedule
Monday 9/16- 4pm @Mountain View. 40-45 minute recovery run. Core and Strides
Tuesday 9/17- 4pm @Mountain View. Cutdown speed workout.
Wednesday 9/18- 2:15pm @Mountain View. Captain lead voluntary practice. 30-40 minute recovery run.
Thursday 9/19- 4pm @Mountain View. Tempo Run.
Friday 9/20- 4pm @Mountain View. Chocolate Milk Mile race
Saturday 9/21- Easy aerobic run. Go by feel for distance and pace. No longer than 60 minutes.
Sunday 9/22- Rest Day